February 8, 2024
Master's Training Seminar
Online Registration Closed!
OFDA Office, Columbus, Ohio
How to Register:
By registering for this event, you consent that photos and videos of you at the event may be published in print, online or in online photo albums; on photo/video-sharing sites such as YouTube; on social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and Google+; and in other web-based media at the sole discretion of OFDA.
- OFDA Member: $175
- OFDA Non-Member: $350
- Cancellation Policy:
- All cancellations are subject to a $25 Administrative Processing Fee
- For full refund (minus administrative processing fee), OFDA office must be notified 24 hours prior to the start of the scheduled program
- This is a Public, In-person Only CE Event and open to all licensees.
- The OFDA Master’s Training Seminar is designed to provide a 5-year embalmer or funeral director Ohio licensee the required training set forth in Ohio Administrative Code Rule 4717-5-02 to become a Master Embalmer and Master Funeral Director. The Master's Training Certification is good for 5-years.
- If you completed a Master's Training Seminar in 2019, you will need to be recertified in 2024. Expiration date is five years from prior seminar completion date.
- 6 CE Hours, approved with the State of Ohio Board of Embalmers and Funeral Directors.
- Includes the following:
- 1 Hour Ethics
- 3 Hours General
- 2 Hours Laws & Rules
- 8:00 AM: Arrival and Registration
- 8:25 AM - 3:30 PM: OFDA Program
- Lunch Included
2501 North Star Road
Columbus, OH 43221
Attendee parking behind building off of College Hill Drive
- Dan Burleson, Stakeholder Support Manager, Ohio Department of Health/Office of Vital Statistics
Dan is the Stakeholder Support Manager for the Bureau of Vital Statistics. He oversees the VS Helpdesk team and Vital Statistics training for all of their partners in funeral homes and local health districts in Ohio. Dan has been with the Bureau of Vital Statistics for the past eleven years.
- Don Ferfolia, Jr., J.D., CFSP, Ferfolia Funeral Home
Don is a fourth-generation funeral director involved with his family’s funeral firm in the Southeast Cleveland area. In addition to being a funeral director he is an attorney who is a principal with the law firm of Donald B. Ferfolia, Jr., LTD. located in Sagamore Hills, Ohio. The combination of law, funeral service, and family business experiences have provided Don with a unique skill set that enables him to assist clients in solving many different types of problems. He enjoys helping firms deal with the daily challenges of running a closely held business including proactively managing accounts receivable issues and succession planning. Don can be reached at 440-249-4655 or email@example.com.
- Barbara "Barb" K. Garrison, M.S. CHMM, President, Safety & Environmental Solutions, LLC
Barb has more than 20 years of experience in the performance and management of health, safety, and environment (HSE) projects for domestic and international organizations across dozens of industries and market sectors. Special expertise in conducting HSE compliance audits, health and safety training, and the development and implementation of written HSE programs. Experience delivering multi-media training courses in a variety of formats including instructor-led courses, webinars, computer-based instruction, and HSEEP-compliant seminars, workshops, drills, tabletop exercises, and functional exercises. Also experienced in the development of emergency plans and Continuity of Operations (COOP)/Continuity of Government (COG) plans.
- Poul Lemasters, Esq., Lemasters Consulting
Poul has worked in the funeral profession for over 25 years and holds a funeral director’s license and embalmer’s license in several states. As an attorney, Poul is admitted to practice law in Ohio, Kentucky and Virginia.
He operates and is principal of Lemasters Consulting, located in Cincinnati, Ohio, a consulting business entirely for the deathcare profession, which includes funeral homes, funeral directors/embalmers, cemeteries, cemeterians, cremationists, crematory owners, as well as the suppliers to all of them. He assists in areas of legal, compliance, regulatory, and operational issues. Poul also serves in various roles with national groups such as: General Counsel for ICCFA (International Cemetery, Crematory and Funeral Association); Legal Counsel for NCBVA (National Concrete Burial Vault Association); Legal Advisor to CCC (Catholic Cemetery Conference).
- Lauren N. Oxender, OFDA Board of Directors At-Large Director, Thompson Funeral Homes
Lauren is a licensed funeral director and embalmer at Thompson-Geesey Funeral Homes in Montpelier & Pioneer, Ohio.
Lauren graduated from St. Ursula Academy in Toledo in 2006 and went on to graduate from CCMS with her Associates of Applied Science in Mortuary Science and her Bachelor’s Degree of Mortuary Science in 2010. She completed her apprenticeship at Newcomer Funeral Homes in Dayton and worked there as a director until December of 2012. In December of 2012, she moved to Williams County, Ohio and in January of 2013 began her career with Thompson-Geesey Funeral Homes.
Lauren is an active member of the OFDA Board of Directors serving as an At-Large Director from 2020 until the completion of her appointment in 2024. She also serves as the co-chair of OFDA`S Member Engagement Task Force and is a member of both the Leadership Committee and Finance Committee with OFDA. On a local level, Lauren serves as the secretary of District One Ohio Funeral Directors, the Vice President of the Montpelier Chamber of Commerce and as Treasurer for the Pioneer Area Chamber of Commerce.
- The State of Ohio Board of Embalmers & Funeral Directors
- William C. Wappner, CFSP, CCO, Board Member & Past President, State of Ohio Board of Embalmers & Funeral Directors
- Jarrod Williams, Executive Director, State of Ohio Board of Embalmers & Funeral Directors
- Kim Grossman, Certification/Licensure Examiner II, State of Ohio Board of Embalmers & Funeral Directors
The below hotel options are located with walkability to local restaurants like Rusty Bucket, Hudson 29, SOW Plated, Carsonie's, Original Pancake House, Graeter's Ice Cream Parlor, Wine Bistro, La Chantaline, Whole Foods, great shopping with the Shops on Lane and only one mile to all major freeway access.
- Homewood Suites by Hilton – Columbus/OSU (across from the Shops on Lane Avenue)
- TownePlace Suites by Marriott – Columbus North/OSU (across from the Shops on Lane Avenue)